Here is the before shot of my living room. It's not bad but I envisioned more storage and better use of space. Thank goodness for pinterest and all it's inspiration!
Here is two during shots....
I was put in charge of the bench cushion. As you can see I hired out the work! I used a drop cloth from the hardware store. Some of it was used for the back part of the bench and I kept it the natural color. The rest of the fabric I dyed using scarlet RIT dye. I had just enough fabric with none to spare. How's that for measuring and planning?! Just kidding it was mostly luck!
The cabinets in the middle house all of our games. B seems to really like having quick access to his games and craft supplies. I like having my music organized and easy to get to and play.
Here is a close-up of the side of the bench. This was probably where we got the most stumped. It was just wood but looked unfinished after it was painted. I got the idea when J was leaning against it and I thought about how uncomfortable it must be. We took a piece of wood, some batting and stapled the fabric to the back. The "tufting" it how we screwed it into the cabinet. I covered buttons in coordinating fabric to my pillows, and added velcro to the back. That way there is easy access if we ever want to drop another $20 bucks on drop cloth to re-cover.